An education program specifically for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents experiencing a mental health condition.
Currently offering NAMI Basics virtually via NAMI National’s NAMI Basics OnDemand.
To take this education course, register on the NAMI National website:
NAMI Basics is a FREE, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or who have already been diagnosed. The program is taught by trained leaders with lived experience. We are currently not offering this in-person but hope to later in 2021.
NAMI Basics Covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family